Over a year ago we ran across this old entertainment cabinet at a Local thrift store for $15. Many people were looking at this gem, including us. At first glance, I began picking it apart. It was pretty banged up and the baseboard was missing. It was such a large cabinet and wasn’t sure we could even get it into the house. But then I began thinking about how badly we needed pantry storage and knew if we didn’t buy this I’d regret it. This cabinet was made of solid wood with the aged charm I liked. Once I opened the doors, the baseboard that was missing was sitting inside. It was broke, but I knew I could make it work. The large bottom drawer opened and shut so nicely, which I didn’t expect. Ugh! I thought! Let’s buy it. Today I’m so glad we did.
Here are a few pictures of the cabinet once we got it home. Bruce, my husband is looking it over.
After measuring the cabinet, doorways, ceiling height, wall area, and considering light fixtures, we finally decided on its new home. It was gonna be a tight squeeze, but doable. Knowing this, I decided the best place to repurpose this cabinet was in its new resting place. As a rule of thumb, I would repurpose furniture outdoors or in the garage, but I quickly threw that rule out the window.
Once the cabinet was in its new home, it was time to go to work. I removed the hardware, knowing I’d reuse it. Kinda loved it. Used a good quality dish soap and water, old tooth brush, small utility brush, steal wool, and old dish rag to clean this beast. The bottom trim piece was broken. I decided to glue it back together and reattach it with liquid nails and leave it at that. It would just give it more character and charm. The only sanding I did was a few rough, splintered areas.
Time to paint. I used what I already had. Reading more of my blogs you’ll find out I do this a lot. The primer was Kiltz odorless oil based primer. Two coats were applied with a paint brush. I was sure to read and wait the required dry time between coats. The paint used was an interior paint and primer, satin, white. Two coats were applied with a paint brush waiting required dry time in between coats. Using a brush gave me the country charm I was looking for.
The hardware was cleaned with soapy water and dried. Didn’t want to take away from its natural patina. Putting them back on was so exciting. I was so anxious to see the final look of this piece.
The inside received a good scrubbing. The decision was made not to paint. Placed wire racks I had sitting around on both doors. I purchased a wire rack for shelving and there was room for my bread box. Was happy to get it off my counter. For our canned good I dug out 2 large cake pans and an oblong basket. They fit perfectly under the shelf already there, and made for easy access. I’m so pleased with our new pantry. Tons of storage, great look, and very little money.
It’s been well over a year since I repurposed this cabinet. Still love it. It was a great pantry solution. It looks great, fun addition to our holiday decorating, and great backdrop for other projects. It’s received many more dings in this past year which has only given it more charm. We received many compliments and even some offers to buy it. Won’t be parting with this gem anytime soon.